General Discussion

Author   Comment  
Will Seagraves

Reply with quote  #1 
I enjoyed seeing your how-to videos on You Tube. I am returning to the cycling world as of a year or so ago. I was an avid rider in my youth, topping out with a Motobecane Super mirage about 1980. fast forward... I am 59 1/2 and getting back into it, with my wife. We have a pair of hybrid, smooth tire cross trainers that we have been enjoying. These are Giant Cyprus that ride nicely. I wanted to go farther, faster and started scanning Craigs list ads for vintage 10 speeds. I bought myself a Panasonic DX-2000 in beautiful shape and it fits me well. It needed tires, clean up and tuning, so I got it well sorted and enjoy it very much. I couldn't not look anymore, and continued shopping Craigs list and found another Panasonic, but a DX-4000. This bike has a few cosmetic issues, but rides really sweet. It has the Shimano 600 groupset, and was adult driven, and well cared for. I did 33 miles on this bike, the day after Thanksgiving. I was leaving my wife in the dust. I perused more ads and found her a Lotus Mixte 12 speed with same Shimano 600 Groupset. I put riser bars and matching levers on, and we had our shakedown ride last Sunday. Very nice ride, in very mint shape. I will be tuning in more often. Thanks to all !!
Will Seagraves

Reply with quote  #2 
lotus mixte.jpg This is the Lotus Mixte in as purchased condition. I repacked the front wheel bearings and headset so far. Will be going through the rear wheel bearings and bottom bracket real soon. I will show pics of the Panasonics real soon.
kevlar_heart

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Seagraves
lotus mixte.jpg This is the Lotus Mixte in as purchased condition. I repacked the front wheel bearings and headset so far. Will be going through the rear wheel bearings and bottom bracket real soon. I will show pics of the Panasonics real soon.

Nice looking bike. Sounds like you're a dedicated old school rider. I rebuilt my 1989 Specialized Allez crit bike...it's on  here somewhere. I got bit with the modern bug and soon bought a road bike and a gravel bike.

Reply with quote  #4 
dx-4000.jpg 
Will Seagraves

Reply with quote  #5 
I seem to be attracted (addicted) to the older equipment. We had been riding the aluminum framed hybrids for several years, and they are nice enough.
I got back on the vintage steel and loved the feel of it. The pic above is from the Craigs List when I bought the DX-4000. It had a funky home grown rack on the back. I am very minimalist and it was the first thing to go. I had never known about the history of the Japanese bikes manufactured in the early eighties. What I found out was that these bikes were very well made. Startin with good chrome-moly 4130 double butted tubing, and that is made with forged dropouts. Both of the Panasonics are very light, and seem to accelerate very nicely. They hung very good, reliable equipment on these bikes. Araya Aluminum Rims. The Shimano 600 Groupset is very smooth, and the shifting, even with friction shifters is crisp and positive. This bike was adult ridden. I did have to straighten a handlebar end, which was kind of a fun adventure, that required a 6 foot 2 X 4, another short piece of 2 x 4  and a pair of gorilla c-clamps to get the leverage to move the bar end. Mrs. Claus hooked me up with a pair of Continental tires and tubes with Presta Valves, a first for me. I have gone through the brake cables, getting them to work freely, disassembling and cleaning the brake calipers. It will get new pads before spring. The plan is to repack the wheel bearings, headset, and bottom bracket before spring. Mrs Clause got me some special tools. 
All in all, I am very happy with the old steel. Incidentally, the old Panasonics represent a good value. I have been scoring them for far less than they are selling on E-Bay. I could easily double the money I have in both bikes.
New bikes seem to be so newfangled to me. I can't get a straight answer or information on what size frame I should buy, and they all look too small. It seems that at a glance, I can tell which old-school bike will fit me. The two Panasonics are 24" frames. I am 6' 4" with a long torso. I wear a 34" length. I do want to try a 25" frame, but they always measure 34 1/2" stand-over. I am accumulating parts to make a fixed bike, but don't want to destroy a nice old bike for that. Meanwhile, I will wait for a very light 25" frame to come along. 
When you say Never Give a Gun to Ducks, I know the illustration from the Kliban Book. It makes me laugh. I am a closet Dead-Head too. I'll be back with more posts. 

Will Seagraves

Reply with quote  #6 
Here is the DX 2000 and DX4000 after some clean up. The Mixte is shown after conversion with riser gars and new levers. Sweet Ride. I couldn't resist the Christmas pic. DX-2000.jpg  DX-4000 Cleaned Up.jpg  Lotus Mixte Christmas.jpg 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.