General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
scram

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #1 
Some of the older shimano cantilever brakes have a beveled washer or '0'-shaped conical part around the bolt that attaches the brake to the frame braze-on. Is it necessary and are replacements available? I havent been able to find 'em, but likely I am using incorrect terminology in my searching. In pic below, the two on the left are missing the part, while those on the right have it:

Shimano Deore XT Cantilever BR-M737

[image] 
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Boss cap?  It will protect the spring plate and spring from road dirt etc being forced into it (act as a dust cover) .  Not  completely necessary to use but for continued good operation ...

Edit 1 :-
Looked for a supplier of these can't find anybody but my google-fu is not very strong.  About all I could find were boss plugs but these go into brake bosses (when the bike has been altered to disk brakes).
  Am I even on the right track I have found an illustration of a brake that is similar (I hope ) to yours, this shows a boss cap is this what you mean?
[Screenshot_18]

Edit 2 :- Maybe you could cobble something up using correct sized washers if you do not find someone who will supply the correct part?

I have a sneaking suspicion you will have to either buy a full new (FSVO) set of brakes or cobble something up .
You could always e-mail Shimano and ask nicely, they may have old ones lying about or tell you of another option.
Good luck.

scram

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you. "Boss" is more than I had before. It is different construction. The original shimano service manuals simply do not name the part- hence, difficult to find search-wise. My fix from local hardware store is an "O-ring". Below is without and with o-ring. 2nd pic is a friend's Specialized showing the crack on a deore LX cantilever. Shimano's crappy plastic makes me like Dia-Compe (987) cantis better.

bike cantilever bare and o-ring.JPG 

bike cantilever crack luis.JPG 

Squirrel-Girl

Reply with quote  #4 
Ah M-System brakes from the hallowed period of around 1994-1998
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.