General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
bchunt300

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a 1968 Murray Jet Fire that has 26x1 3/4 tires that need to be replaced.  I bought what I thought were 26x1 3/4 but got 26x1.75 and they are way too big.  In one of the videos I thought they said that 26x1.75 were smaller.  I'm confused. 
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 

The ISO numbers are brand independant whilst company given figures (for their own purposes[1]) may be given at either end of the availlable spectrum of relevant sizes.
Suffice to say go ISO, ignore manufacturers own dimensions and remember though 1.75 and 1¾ may be mathematically the same they are entirely different sizes.
If in doubt try googling your particular case and you should find someone else who has tried that combination and they will say if it fits and if it is any good, or you could ask in here.

Edit to add:-from http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
  "Competitive pressures have often led to inaccuracy in width measurement. Here's how it works: Suppose you are in the market for a high performance 700 x 25 tire; you might reasonably   investigate catalogues and advertisements to try to find the lightest 700-25 available. If the Pepsi Tire Company and the Coke Tire Company had tires of equal quality and technology, but the Pepsi 700-25 was actually a 700-24 marked as a 25, the Pepsi tire would be lighter than the accurately-marked Coke 700-25. This would put them at a competitive advantage. In self defense, Coke would retaliate by marketing an even lighter 700-23 labeled as a 700-25."

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #3 
More Sheldon Brown. The decimal (26x1.75) should indeed be the smallest rim seat diameter of all "26" inch tires so something is wonky if the decimal label tire has a bigger rim seating diameter than the fractional label.
RJ

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchunt300
I have a 1968 Murray Jet Fire that has 26x1 3/4 tires that need to be replaced.  I bought what I thought were 26x1 3/4 but got 26x1.75 and they are way too big.  In one of the videos I thought they said that 26x1.75 were smaller.  I'm confused. 

Like Soup said: 
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup
...remember though 1.75 and 1¾ may be mathematically the same they are entirely different sizes.

Watch Bikeman's video, he explains tire sizes.

Your size 26 x 1-3/4 is included in the explanation.

ISO for a 26 x 1-3/4 is 590
ISO for a 26 x 1.75 is 559

ISO 590 (26 x1-3/4) is LARGER than ISO 559 (26 x 1.75)

ADVANCE the video to 1:02:31

RJ

Reply with quote  #5 

OBTW: Welcome Sam!  [thumb]

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.