General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Daved A Franklin

Reply with quote  #1 
Some one please help me get this free wheel off. I'm having a hell of a time finding the right tool.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 0924171118b.jpg, Views: 8, Size: 380.62 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 0924171118.jpg, Views: 9, Size: 244.05 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: 0924171118a.jpg, Views: 8, Size: 215.18 KB 

soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
IT'S A NORMAL THREAD not reverse like I stated (brainfart)
As you cycle along the free wheel tends to get screwed tighter to the hub so it may well be on there squeaky tight .
What I do to remove free wheels; is use a Shimano free wheel tool, turned with a 12" shifter (adjustable wrench ), with the shifter's handle shoved into a cheater bar so the handle is like four foot long then adopt a proper Karate stance , trust your going in the correct  direction and 'give it some welly'. 
  First time I did this didn't have the 'cheater bar' so had son hold the wheel and gave it loads of oomph, free wheel finally came free with a crack, never heard that sort of noise from a screw before, thought son had snapped a bone or some such.  It is surprising just how tight the free wheel can be.
If you have a vice fixed to something you can forego the shifter and cheater just fix the remover tool in the vice jaws and turn the wheel counter-clockwise.

DO NOT COFUSE FREE-WHEEL WITH FREE-HUB

A sort of high end version is the Park FR-1 but as long as somewhere on the advert it says suitable for Shimano that should do

Shimano free wheel tool ( $1.33)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freewheel-Remover-Tool-Mountain-Bike/dp/B074FXJDPT/ref=sr_1_20?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1506427557&sr=1-20&keywords=shimano+freewheel+tool

Park-tool free wheel removal tool for Shimano
https://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Freewheel-Remover-Freewheels/dp/B001B6RGX

Tools are the 'poster boy' of you get what you pay for and possibly going to 99p is a bit far perhaps somewhere in the middle between this and the Park.  You want a tool that can do the job and not muck things up but for a once every six months thing you don't want to go too expensive.

Amazon shown for ease but a trip to the local bike shop may prove quicker and a face to face chat may allay any fears.
In general a wee trip, to the LBS and buy from them, is preferable to using Amazon.

A short video that shows what I mean

Edited to correct link
Edit 2 to correct brainfart

Squirrel-Girl

Reply with quote  #3 
I use one of these instead of a traditional chainwhip i find it a lot easier

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/chain-whip-cassette-remover-id_8309913.html
Mr Martin R Wilson

Reply with quote  #4 

I tried to find a cheaper source of the tool but can't find it anywhere. I guess I'll have to do an online order as no local Decathlon stores. Good find
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #5 
Hah bunch of wimps, just grab the cassette and stop it turning with your hand.   ;O)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.