General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Sam

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I am planning on fitting low/ medium riser bars to my MTB. These are quite a bit wider than the flat bars I have on now. Should I be looking at a shorter stem reach too?
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #2 
Try it out first without a shorter stem. Chances are you'll only notice a big difference if a lot of turning input is required. A shorter stem helps speed up any steering speed loss from wider bars but it will add to the shortening of reach, which may or may not be desirable. 
Sam

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for that Fairnooks, I figured that I'd ask before I started out. [wink]

Basically I'm looking for a bit more comfort, back and wrists. I've been given some bars with about a 40mm rise and a gentle backsweep too.

I currently have an old school Sakae alloy riser quill stem ( the sort with a wedge nut) this has an upward angle of about 45 degrees and measures 110mm from the centre of the bolt to the centre of the handlebar clamp (along the upward plane of the rise). I have a near identical Sakae quill stem in my parts bin that is marked and measures 80mm along the same line.

I'll try the new bar with 110mm stem that I have now, and if I need to go shorter then I have that option too.

The Bike is an old 80's/ 90's Reynolds 501 Raleigh, a good friend to me for years and I want to keep riding it.

Thanks again.
RJ

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
...Basically I'm looking for a bit more comfort, back and wrists

For wrist comfort, you may consider these:
http://www.bikemanforu.com/products/ergo-sport-locking-mountain-bike-grips-black-white-origin8.html

Sam

Reply with quote  #5 
Yeah, I've seen them locally. What I am looking to do is shift my position so that I'm a bit more upright and a little less weight on my wrists. Hopefully achieveable with these new (to me) bars.

Update: I have done the bar swap, also took the opportunity to clean and regrease the headset.

So far I'm optimistic that I have improved my on bike posture, my wrists are at a "better" angle.  I need to tweak my brake levers and shifters position a bit, but really need to do a decent amount of mileage as the ultimate test. Thanks for the help and advice.
Sam

Reply with quote  #6 
So, I've had the "new" bars on for a couple of weeks and put in some good miles [smile]

I only wish I had done it sooner, much more comfortable on longer rides. It took a few days to get used to the extra width, these measure 600mm. If anyone else is considering a move from flat to risers, I'd say go for it.
RJ

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
So, I've had the "new" bars on for a couple of weeks and put in some good miles [smile]

I only wish I had done it sooner, much more comfortable on longer rides. It took a few days to get used to the extra width, these measure 600mm. If anyone else is considering a move from flat to risers, I'd say go for it.

Good to hear you found some comfort!
Personally, each bike I have uses a different height riser; from a shorty 2 incher to a mild height Ape Hanger.

RevVarmit-BMFU-4 copy.jpg 

It's all about comfort... and looking KEWL at the same time. 🚲 🎆 👍 

Sam

Reply with quote  #8 
That is nice eclectic collection there RJ [smile]

I have a small stable of Raleighs, retro style '80s/ '90s, from a time when the frames were hand built here in England.

I am going to be looking at another riser mod to one of these soon. It is nice to have a few bikes, all with their own characteristics and styles. The only problem is selecting what to ride on any given day [smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.