General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Krisalex79

Reply with quote  #1 
I’m chasing an idea i got, from recent repair. while i was fixing a kid’s gears from dumb mechanic who put wound/slinky housing on indexed gears, and they never worked properly, now i chase the idea of kevlar braided/kevlar wolven compressionless housings on rim brakes or mechanical disk brakes. normal compressionless is for gear shifting only, and it will not hold up to the stress of braking, while kevlar braided/kevlar wolven cables have a layer of kevlar reinforcement, to make them strong enough so they can handle the stress of braking. I have reasonable expectation for stronger more efficient brakes, by only replacing the wound/slinky housings with kevlar braided/kevlar wolven housings. The general expectation is that because it is kevlar braided/kevlar wolven housings compressionless housing, it will not compress and flex. once load from brake lever is applied, which means everything which happens on the lever will be accurately picked up by the caliper, and the caliper will react to it, less power will be absorbed by the kevlar braided/kevlar wolven housings compressionless housing, more power will be transmitted more accurately to the caliper, because of the compressionless nature of the kevlar braided/kevlar wolven housing. Do anyone has any impressions and experience with this idea?
Krisalex79

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey I found what was looking for. Looks like Park tool is proving my line of thoughts right. check this video.

at first chance i will make assembly and i will further test it. i will share experience and impressions once i gather enough to share.

good luck,

bye!
Krisalex79

Reply with quote  #3 
Hello everyone. I tested the idea, shown on the park tool video, on a racing XC twenty niner hardtail MTB. It worked flawlessly. Braking performance increased a lot - actually kevlar braided compressionless housing, it made the brakes stronger, much stronger. The interesting part is that this housing allowed for more than just stronger brakes. It also allowed for better and more precise control. I love to experiment, with new technology, old technology, mixing old and new technology, trying to get the most out of stuff. As counter intuitive as it may come, the brake actually had smother reaction, than with wound/slinky/springy housing, because nothing interfered in the connection between the brake lever and brake caliper. because of the compressionless nature of the kevlar wolven/kevlar braided housing, nothing is lost, and whatever you made on the lever is accurately transferred to the caliper and accurately picked up by the caliper.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: