General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
kernville john

Reply with quote  #1 
My right shifter is broken. I would like to replace both of them. Searching your site I found the Avid sku:12194. Will they work on my Raleigh M50? If so should I order new cables also? Thank you
Your shows RULE!
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Didn't even know AVID did shifters , clamps for shifters yes , but I thought they were really a brake company.  To ensure the shifter moves the correct amount of cable per 'click' you should endeavour to ensure that the shifter has the same mabnufacturer as the derailleur.  So a Raleigh rear mech should really use a Raleigh shifter however there are lots of combinations that do work they are just not guaranteed too.  Someone who has used or seen LOTS of different mechs/shifter combos needs to advise if AVID shifters will work with a Raleigh mech

You should always insert new cables when changing an operating method as the cable will be adjusted and cut for the old system and that may well be different from your new system. The cable may need to be rethreaded through some mechanism on the shifter and most cables (IME) have rather erm 'worn' ends where the wee doohickey has fell off it has been superglued to stop it unravelling or is generally just a mess
You can also change any minor niggles with the runs (large niggles will probably involve you changing the cable housing too,
Talking of which if there is any stiction or the cables appear corroded or for peace of mind change the housings too .
 Changing the cables and housings now whilst the bike is dissassembled makes it semm like less work (not that it is onerous just time consuming).

kernville john

Reply with quote  #3 
Came with them in 1993.
Fixed it. Bad downshift spring.
Replaced it with a harley davidson points advance spring. Works great.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.