General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #101 
P1010075.jpg 

Today's ride was the pre-turn of the century KLEIN Mantra Race. Perhaps it is the most ill-fitting bike I have (when I barely paid attention to the geometry charts). For a mountain bike, the head angle is too steep, the head tube is too short and low due to the beam acting as top and bottom tube, the suspension actions moves the BB back and up slightly and changes the distance to the pedals a bit so one is always very aware they are on a suspension bike, and the wheelbase is also amazingly short for a mountain bike. In fact, except for the relaxed seat tube angle, I think the geometry more closely matches a road bike than a mountain bike. Consequently this is a bike that one has to get used to in the woods before letting it put it's nose in the air, steering is very quick and the bike certainly rocks front to back more due to the short wheelbase and one really has to gnaw on the stem to keep the front end down on really steep climbs. Conversely, on high speed, low obstacle trail, it's a blast to ride, so it has it's good aspects; it's just not an all-rounder by any means.

soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #102 

Can you actually see where you’re going on that?  Maybe it's because I am an old fart mature but those bars look remarkably low.   I much prefer the bars actually being level with the saddle (got
to give some thought to my back and I want to see the scenery).
  Is that a bottle cage at the BB?  It must get all the grot going I would hate drinking from a bottle covered in sh...

Edited to try and add humour.

sidekarz

Reply with quote  #103 
10 years later.JPG “Lazarus” has evolved since its resurrection. At that time, large sections of the canal & towpath had been damaged by severe flooding and were officially “closed” to the public. Some sections of the towpath were “construction zones” as other sections remained washed-out awaiting repair. Debris from the floods created many obstacles along the route and the grass & weeds grew to 5-feet/1.5 meters in many places. A “Goat Trail” was quickly cleared and improved by the “indigenous people” who could not read the “CLOSED” signs that had been posted everywhere. I originally built the bicycle for those conditions. Sitting upright makes my “old” back feel better and it allowed me to see over the tall weeds. There were many long stretches where riders who were slightly bent-over on “flat-handlebar/mountain bikes” could not see more than a few meters in front of them.

The rims, pedals, handlebars, skull and sleigh bell are still on the bike. The frame-mounted pouch/carrying pad was used every day. The “budget” seat was quickly replaced.The rear derailleur and riser stem went back into the “used parts” bin. I used “army green” to paint over rust, scratches and decals. (I did not paint over the small, blue & green EARTH decals on either side of the frame because I liked them.) This was my first attempt at repairing and replacing damaged brakes with salvaged parts; they worked, but not too well. The duel-trigger gear shifters and brake levers were combined into one “housing” and were original to the frame. I combined parts from two damaged pairs to make one serviceable set. My arthritic hands liked them, but they were really big and ugly. The tires are Ritchey SuperMax BETA 2.0s. Soon after the photo was taken I installed a large, used Wald basket and a set of steel fenders created from salvaged parts. (I painted the fenders OD green.)

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #104 
My back still works pretty good, I'm in trouble when/if it goes on the blink. Ya, the bottle cage is in a terrible place but no place else to put it really, it's ok on dry road and gravel rides, otherwise Camelbak all the way. The bars are about where I want them, the saddle sags a bit when on it and the cockpit is not too stretched due to the short wheelbase so with the extreme riser stem and additional boost from the handlebar, I just make it. I wonder that the Mantra wouldn't be perfect for a much shorter person though, who would fit much better between the wheels! Like I said though, it's a blast to ride on quick turning trail as long as it doesn't go extreme steep either way.

I know so much more about bikes than I did then; I would dismiss that suspension configuration almost at a glance now, it's plush but not good in all situations, but back then I was more wowed by the looks.
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #105 
This is going to be my "sloppy" Winter bike, I used it a little last Winter but I just added the fenders (my first attempt as I am definitely not a fender guy) and have the studded tires on standby. The chains will go on another bike for cold hardpack snow riding, I suspect the chains would not get along well with the fenders, whereas the studs will because they don't add to the width of a tire. I'm sure the reverse rise rear mech from the old parts bin will keep me momentarily confused for many weeks, especially if I ride anything else with a standard derailleur. Just a straight gauge but hydro-formed aluminum, basic Venzo Valencia frame I built up for abuse from the elements; it's difficult to find a decent frame with canti/v brake bosses these days. Only thing really dumb and useless on this bike is the second bottle mount is under the down tube...yes, under! Nothing on the seat tube at all. I've heard of a third one under the down tube but always with a second on the seat tube. Very strange. 

P1010079.JPG 

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #106 
Hot off the bike build stand, first test ride was toonite, the 19th Oct.

P1010081.jpg  P1010080.JPG 

I have old forks, in this case a Judy SL air/air that is still just too good to retire, when it does finally hatch an egg I'll get a modern disc fork to match the rear braking. Bikeman had the frame on hand in the second story warehouse. 27/42 MegaEXO crank with a very light PF 86/92 BB (I think, the BB was specified and that's what I bought). 9 Speed Microshift shifters and rear mech. SRAM 2x10 low clamp front mech (is it just me or does the seatpost water bottle boss always conflict with standard high clamp?). Old Syncros Cattleprod stem and old control tech lightweight handlebars (to fit the 25.4mm clamp diameter), Forza Cirrus 145 mm saddle, ATAC pedals, 11x34 XT 9 speed cassette, lightweight wheelset and tires to match.

First impressions: it accelerates as good as any bike on the planet, it's light, it's fast, in fact it feels just like my old race bike from the turn of the century. The durability of the nylon resin plastic fantastic pressfit BB is in question but maybe it will be quiet and last a long time. The only glitch in the entire build is I have a tight missing link that is skipping and chain sucking a little bit. I'm trying to wiggle it a little looser but I don't want to spring it too much either so it maybe pops off sometime during a ride. I specifically chose the Microshift shifters for their thumb/thumb action being directly in line with each other, one above the other. I really like that. Mostly I have thumb/trigger finger but it seems the finger lever is never in the same place and just as often in a slightly awkward position, especially the SRAM lineup.

scottrlb

Reply with quote  #107 
1975 Sears Spyder 5 recently restored it to like new condition
20151123_204733.jpg 

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #108 
So you won't be finding out if the bike is still stable once you get in the danger zone (red zone on the speedometer)? Is that the biggest, heavy duty dork disc (as BMFU calls them) of all time behind the cogset or something else? Come to think of it, I've built plenty of bikes from scratch (frame up) but I don't think I've ever restored a bike, well maybe just to get it rideable in the most basic sense and not with original or near original parts and components.
scottrlb

Reply with quote  #109 
Well I am a bit to big to be riding this bike anymore not that its stopped me I had to just to make sure stuff worked right, but back when I could ride it I had gotten it up to around 50 MPH and it is really sketchy at that speed thought I was gonna dump the bike. So no it was not stable, but its a muscle bike its not designed to go that fast, its obviously not a racing bike It was designed with looks in mind. Are you calling the chrome thing behind the rear sprocket a dork disc? If you are, that is factory to the bike and I think it looks like its supposed to with it on there. Keep in mind all these bikes had a theme going for them back in the day. They were supposed to the be a bicycle representation of the muscle cars and dragsters of the time. So extra chrome stuff was pretty standard. The main reason I decided to restore this bike to like original condition was because to me its a piece of the past. You can't walk into a bike shop and buy something like this anymore. All you will ever see is the new retro looking bikes some are trying like the newer Schwinn Stingrays but they still aren't like the originals. They are more similar to motorcycles not that that's a bad thing, and of course the old style regular classic Schwinn bikes that you can see at a lot of retail stores. I obviously couldn't get factory parts anymore so I had to look around for parts that looked similar to the original ones, but after a lot of researching on muscle bike forums (yes its a thing) I was able to find the parts I needed on Ebay. Also I know that the pedals and the kickstand are not original to the bike but I think they work just fine.
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #110 
50MPH!  I get scared on a normal bike at anything above 40 . 50 on that must be something else (oh the bombproofness of youth).
sidekarz

Reply with quote  #111 
Hey!!!  That's not a "Dork Disc"; that is a supposed to be a groovy custom Mag Wheel. Can you dig it, Man? Ha!

scottrlb

Reply with quote  #112 
Yeah, it was definitely a rush didn't even have a helmet still had the original 1975 tires on it as well and at that time they were about 28 years old. Which I just replaced by the way, anyway. I started hitting the brakes pretty hard when the front tire started to shimmy out of control making the entire bike shake felt like the it was gonna flip over because of the weight displacement on the bike. I admit I did some pretty crazy stuff with that bike growing up. It's amazing it didn't get completely trashed, and I only suffered minor injuries.
rickedmonds

Reply with quote  #113 
Hi all, new here... thought I'did share some of my toys:

1972 Atala Gran Prix - bought new, currently a 3 -speed on deep v rims, rear rack and flat bars.

1982 Univega Alpina Uno - also bought new... changed out the massive bar set-up up front, added racks, fenders, lights all around and a DYI Igloo clearance cooler bag turned handy bike bag.

2015 Tern P9L - most recent... upgraded stem, pedals, fork and seat... it will travel on most car trips with me.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: File_Feb_06,_5_33_44_PM.jpeg, Views: 10, Size: 585.19 KB  Click image for larger version - Name: File_Feb_06,_5_22_50_PM.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 1.54 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: File_Feb_06,_5_23_12_PM.jpeg, Views: 13, Size: 1.89 MB 

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #114 
Cool, can't see them all that well because the images don't seem to be much bigger than the thumbs but the backdrops are great. Did you know there was a Atala on the BikemanforU live show this year? A guy brought it in for a semi overhaul (it needed a full restore) and he ended up accusing the owner and/or employee of stealing the original dropbars because the shiny ones he saw after the overhaul were too bright and new looking. He never accounted for the ratty old bar tape protecting the finish on the bars all these many years.
rickedmonds

Reply with quote  #115 
I'll git those photos updated finally, see above...
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #116 
Digitizing some old photos. Forgot all about my old Custom Murray. Before the accident I was much taller.

Custom Murray.jpg 

soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #117 
????
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #118 
Kid/young adult asking himself what Manute Bol's (an extremely tall basketball player of the time) bike might look like. It's just a water pipe I painted and stuck on for comedic effect. I was extending the seatpost but not quite that much. That bike was actually stolen sort of when I was in college; a drunk "borrowed" it after a frat party to ride home and it was never seen again.
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #119 
Shared  flats in Dundee while I was a student, lots of 'drunks' (quite often [but not always]me [tongue]) doing things they shouldn't episodes.
beaubird

Reply with quote  #120 
This is my 1959 Schwinn Speedster.  When I obtained it last summer it was missing all of the gear shifting parts and the front brake.  I wasn't planning on a 'full' restoration, but merely a good serviceable bike to take with me on the RV in order to have transportation at campgrounds.  When I bought the Schwinn I knew it was 'vintage', but had no idea that it was built August 3, 1959, according to its serial number.  I haven't worked on a bicycle since I was a teenager.  I made a winter project out of getting this bike ready to go.  To do that, I watched Bikeman's videos on reinstalling gear parts and on installing the front brake.  At one point I even managed to get in a short phone call with Bikeman about adjustiing the gear shifter. I did a lot of scrubbing and cleaning and just a little bit of touch up paint work.  I believe it is now ready to ride another 50 years or so. IMG_0973.JPG 
alanC

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #121 
 Its amazing it looks that good after 57 years. 
beaubird

Reply with quote  #122 
I guess it's true - they don't make them like they used to.  The bike was in reasonably good shape when I got it.  It had a pair of new tires on it anyway.  The frame, fenders & all had some rust, but not too bad. I'm looking forward to using it when we go RVing, and just for general rides around the neighborhood.  Thanks for the response. 
scram

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #123 
Shifter looks exactly lik the "Click-Stick" on my old Columbia Playbike (circa 1968). Same length and housing. Here's a beat up one bike click stick shimano.jpg 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrlb
1975 Sears Spyder 5 recently restored it to like new condition
20151123_204733.jpg 

Tramp844

Reply with quote  #124 
0317161445.jpg my $25 huffy newport.  starting the build.  new Bell saddle so far lots more stuff to come. 
beaubird

Reply with quote  #125 
That bike doesn't look like it needs much, at least from the posted picture.  Nice Bike!
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #126 
Somesort of coaster/back pedal brake?  Looks like all it needs is a front brake .  Looks to need little renovation. Only $25, if it rides as good as it looks you have got a complete bargain .
Tramp844

Reply with quote  #127 
Yep. Coaster brake. Rear Hub need some work but other than that rides good. A craigslist find for $ 25. About a year old and ridden once, around the block and the guy wanted a mountain bike so it sat till thay moved. Listed it and it sat for 2 weeks with not one taker. I saw it and moved on , came back and there it was, still. Bought a lawn mower and this bike the same day and spent $ 60. Not a bad day.
beaubird

Reply with quote  #128 
So - you did as well with the mower as with the bike?  Good day, all around.

alanC

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #129 
Cool you got a great bargain. I would have bought that for $25 in a flash.
SMartin

Reply with quote  #130 
Hurt my back in Iraq and unable to ride her any more so, went from this 2006 Specialized HardRock which I donated to Team Semper Fi

CIMG0740.JPG 

To this, 2009 Catrike Road

CIMG0750.JPG 

soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #131 
First of all thanks I am not American but I appreciate people "putting themselves in harms way" for others.

Whoo a recumbent tadpole.  Do you feel too low down or does the "did you see that" factor mean cagers see you?

beaubird

Reply with quote  #132 
I think there just could be a recumbant in my future - always sort of wanted one, guess mainly because I'm a gadget freak anyway, wanted to see what they were all about.
BikeFanUUUU

Reply with quote  #133 
Here is my work bike.  It's a bike I bought on Amazon about 5 years ago for £100 ($150).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vittesse-Sprint-21-Speed-Alloy-Racing/dp/B003DZ15CQ?ie=UTF8&keywords=vitesse%20bike&qid=1460109236&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

After about 4 years I rode it into the ground.  I wore out the freewheel and the chainset.  I did not realise at that time about chain stretch and it wore down the teeth until they started slipping very badly!  I ended up buying a new freewheel for £5 and chain and then found a twin-chainset on an old racer somebody gave me.  I also found a set of Weinmann suicide brake levers (which I have always really liked) and put those on too.

The bike has really strange '2 piece' handlebars.  They slide into each other and are secured by an ugly bracket which holds then together.  This allows the racing handlebars to have grip shifters (which otherwise would not fit on.  The 7 speed right shifter (shimano revoshift) wore out so I replaced it with a SRAM 7 speed shift I found in a bike breakers.  It works fine.  It looks a bit ugly but I does not bother me.

The bike rides really well and is very strong.  I also replaced one of the wheel due to a buckle but since I have taught myself to true wheels I have not had any more problems.   

I will post another thread for my other bike which I use for long rides, a B'Twin Triban 3

bike (sorry, it's a bit out of focus)

[ben_ipod_touch_pics_24may15%20001]  
replacement twin chainset + claas ohlsen 'oxford' pedals

[ben_ipod_touch_pics_24may15%20002]    
Strange 2 piece handlebars + replaced 7 speed shifter

[ben_ipod_touch_pics_24may15%20003]  
Weinmann 'suicide' brakes

[ben_ipod_touch_pics_24may15%20004]
beaubird

Reply with quote  #134 
Looks pretty sophisticated to me, and well worth bringing it back into good shape.
BikeFanUUUU

Reply with quote  #135 
Here's my bike for long rides.  I have recently ridden the following.

Reading to Basingstoke
Reading -> Woodcote -> Henley -> Reading
Reading to Pangbourne and back.
Cowes IOW to St Catherines point (via Sandown) and back to Cowes.

I upgraded the tyres from the (rubbish) hutchinson race tyres which were paper thin to Schwalbe Marathon tyres. I also put clipless pedal on it.

I had a similar problem to the other bike with chain wear.  I replaced the 8 speed cassette, chain and middle chain ring with a £10 shimano ring (£10 at Evans Cycles) as the inner and outer were barely worn.  You can see this is the photo as it is grey (against the black inner and outer rings).

I am planning a 4 day ride from Lands End to Reading in the Summer and a cross (London) city cycle from Slough to Harrow Middlesex avoiding all the arterial roads.

Here's the bike.  It's one of the last red Triban 3's with carbon forks bought at a discount for £250 from Decathlon (from £300 originally).  It's a great bike.  Almost as good as my 1980's Peugeot 27'' racer (but not quite.  [smile]  )

It is about 3 years old.  You can see from the muck that it gets a lot of use.

[ben_ipod_touch_pics_24may15%20005]  
upgrade: Clipless SPD pedals and Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

[ben_ipod_touch_pics_24may15%20006]  
New Shimano 39t middle chain ring (bought for £10 from Evans Cycles).  The original was black like the inner and outer rings.

[ben_ipod_touch_pics_24may15%20008]
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #136 
The vintage Schwinn RX that my great-grandfather rode to work every day 100 years ago!
Vintage Schwinn.jpg

beaubird

Reply with quote  #137 
I can't tell about all the 'minor' items that might be needed to use it again, but from the picture, looks like it could go another 100 miles.  Quite machine!
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #138 
Do you need a powerful rig to run that 'sepia' filter? [wink]
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #139 
No, that's the albumen technique; from real egg whites! Er, at least that's what the description says. Vignette and noise to erode the edges and an overlay for the light destruction. Couldn't find anything quick and simple to look like real scratches though. At first I thought Soup is really gonna like this one but upon closer inspection, it's more of a dark gunmetal blue with a little orange highlighting (the red is all aftermarket). Oh, I guess the saddle had some orange highlights as well but I stuck an old Ti Flite on right away. 317 GBP for a triple butted n lightened (whatever?) Sora STI 9 speed with disc brakes. This "signature series" Fastback RX seems really smooth and well-greased as well so I don't think it belongs in the same category with today's department store quality of Schwinns. 

New Schwinn.jpg

E
dit: Croikie! Put the RX through it's paces today (April 14th) and this is no Schwinn! What I mean by that is it rides or weighs nothing like the old classic roadsters obviously, and everything is so buttery smooth (after I tweaked the tuning a bit) and responsive (though just a hint to the sluggish side of neutral) and the fork, though it's all aluminum, produced such a similar feel to carbon fiber fork blades (maybe due to the rake and helped by 35 mm tyres), that this is most definitely the furthest thing from a Pacific-Schwinn department store bike as well.

It's a third category, a real modern performance-oriented Schwinn. The gravel grinder style of bike is my new and enduring favorite for sure and this measures up every bit as well as my Anyroad 2 and Haanjo comp.[love]
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairnooks
At first I thought Soup is really gonna like this one but upon closer inspection, it's more of a dark gunmetal blue with a little orange highlighting (the red is all aftermarket).

I am not averse to flashes/highlights.  Its the truly multicoloured ones that are off-putting (although having said I don't like multi-colour bikes that gold and black job [can't remember what it is or who's it is at the mo'] is superb)
It was of course Marc's Cube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairnooks
317 pounds for a triple butted n lightened (whatever?) Sora STI 9 speed with disc brakes.

317 pounds!!! You de man!
Bet that's a complete beast uphills. [tongue]

Cyclamist

Reply with quote  #141 
Here's my new ride. My "Carbon Goat" as i call it. 7.5kg. Ultegra all over. Gavia is a shop brand here in Norway. The frame is made in Taiwan.
IMG_20160414_164130.jpg 

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #142 
Taking an alternate meaning to post your ride...and since I don't have an apps of any kind since I don't have any smartphone or Windows above 7...

I rode over to Glennis Loch for my first proper off road using the Giant XTC B1.

P1000099.JPG 

I put a big 29er rigid fork on this 26er frame and beefy Kenda Kosmik tires on a set of Ellsworth wheels.

P1000097.JPG 

So was this setup good for climbing and would the powerplant stand the test?

P1000105.JPG 

Oh ya, you betcha! Although, I did nearly stall out on the second to last water bar.

P1000106.JPG 

cal mientke

Reply with quote  #143 
IMG_0736.JPG 
Martyj76

Reply with quote  #144 
My old gt zaskar approx 1997 running full lx xt group set and manitou 3's
Pic isn't great but I'll try to get some more taken and of my other toys and post them
Thanks everyone

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: image.jpg, Views: 3, Size: 208.30 KB 

Bobbybaboom

Reply with quote  #145 
Heres a few of my bikes that i have pics of on my phone at the moment. I have somewhere near 200 bikes and have been collecting since i learned how to change my first flat at 5 years old. The two 1980 his and hers schwinns i just picked up for $40 and they are like brand new and all original. The green 1976 schwinn collegiate im restoring for my girlfriend right now. The 1997 Gary fisher mamba is my joy. I just put a wheelset and a cassette on her, thats an old pic though. The 1994 specialized hardrock ultra is the donor bike for the wheels that went on my fisher mamba. The specialized is in excellent original condition, i dont think anyone ever rode it. The raleigh m50 is my girlfriends bike, hence why shes getting upgraded to the collegiate lol.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 20160623_210345.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 5.21 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20160623_153811.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 4.95 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20160201_200926.jpg, Views: 5, Size: 4.77 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20160705_191919.jpg, Views: 4, Size: 4.46 MB  Click image for larger version - Name: 20160705_191709.jpg, Views: 4, Size: 5.83 MB 

soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #146 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbybaboom
I have somewhere near 200 bikes.

Someone after your crown Fairnooks.  [wink][tongue]
Edit to add emoticons just in case anyone thought I was being serious at all

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #147 
Ya, cool. That might be as many or more than the number of bikes on the Bike'n Kite premises! 

I think my favorite(s) is shifting just a bit with the versatility of the Giant XTC frames; with disc brake mounts I can put a beeforama ISO 559 tire on for backwoods grinding, or up to a ISO 622, 35 mm tire on a 29er wheelset and grind gravel and rough roads to my heart's content, or put knobbies and a larger cassette on and go cyclocross/fast trail riding.
Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #148 
N+1.5. So I thought of this idea AFTER the photo-shoot or I would have set the camera up on a tripod or something. It also came with a carbon fiber fork so when I put that on maybe I'll produce a better bike morph.

M3 Fat cockpit.jpg 
Zig8

Reply with quote  #149 
13322124_895967947180948_8928565832006482354_n.jpg  My Swoop Surly Big Dummy
Zig8

Reply with quote  #150 
10464218_565185196925893_7624935531187292485_n.jpg  My Giant Townie (20 years old?)
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: