General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
biker365

Reply with quote  #1 
Help I ride at night to work I ride all year long in canada , i ride in extreme conditions at times , bike holds up great but I can t find a reliable headlight , they all seem to fail , none I've tried last me more than a few months , I ve tried cheap ones and the expensive ones , none do the job , they all break down or just stop working I m not Concerned of how bright it is , but I want it to last , anyone with similar experience that has suggestions
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
Is this some sort of "be seen" light or one you want to see things on tracks, unlit roads etc?

Cree lights (well LED systems) are supposedly one of the best and decent lights can be horrendously expensive .  Like most things you can get a 'friday machine' from a decent manufacturer and it doesn't last all that long, you can also get someone who's trying to impress working at one of the less rated manufacturers and it lasts ages.
 I myself tend only to cycle at night on well lit roads so all I need is a "be seen" light and I just use any middle quality supermarket/LBS(the ones they have on display not ones they have to order in especially).
if they only last a month or two I think "Mmm the ones in Tescos/Sainsburys/B&Q/etc are crap" and don't get them again.
 However I will ask on the uk.rec.cycling newsgroup(the moderated one as the open one is full of trolls) as Canada seems to have the same lighting conditions as Scotland/North of England' and get back to you.
In the meantime I am sure someone in here will chip in their light reccomendations.

I am sure you could baby along the lights you have by using stuff called marine grease these tend to disperse any moisture that gets in so switch contacts etc could have a wee smear of this stuff put on,  also any small circuit boards (the backs of LED displays charging circuits etc) can be covered in silicone (use a neutral setting one as you don't wan't any plastics affected by the ammonia given off as the silicone cures, you can also use plastidip/liquid electrical tape WHY fo this.  Finally seal any cracks/junctions/wire outlets etc with silicone/plastidip etc (I use stuff called black gasket maker to waterproof any electronics but then son is a mechanic and can 'liberate' a tube or so. Also at the end of a ride remove the lights and bring them into the house, DO NOT leave them on the bike if you leave that in the outhouse/barn/garage WHY

Fairnooks

Reply with quote  #3 
One guy in Thunder Bay, goes by CrazyCyclingVlogger on YT, used dual Cygolite 650s for many years before the battery started to noticeably degrade and he just replaced them with dual Cygolite Tridenx 1300s last year. He often rides at night and commutes in the winter so they are tested in some pretty extreme conditions. He does keep the batteries in a frame bag though instead of strapped to the frame so they aren't exposed as much to the elements.
biker365

Reply with quote  #4 
Many thanks for the suggestions from both of you , I will give these tips a try , high five from canada.
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #5 
Thoughts so far include :-

What do YOU regard as expensive ?

In what way do they fail (Wires, metal contacts, plastic housings, quick release brackets etc)?

Dynamo or Batteries (Battery systems tend to be cheaper but Dynamo systems are less affected by the cold)?

biker365

Reply with quote  #6 
i ve had varied things go wrong , you name it i ve had it happen , this is years of every day riding 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation: