General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
scram

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #1 

I'm afraid I now know my mid-1990s freehub won't fit an 8speed cassette (after I bought it to match my 8 speed shifters)---but I must ask the question hoping this thought that just occurred to me today is wrong.
New: 11-32T shimano HG-51 cassette
Current: Mavic Matrix double wall wheel with Alivio FH MC12 hub
This link to the specs is what made me realize I wasnt gonna be able to fit the new 8spd cassette on it: http://wheelsmfg.com/tech/PDF/hub/fh-mc12.pdf
I assume it's the so-called "free wheel body" that limits adding an 8speed stack o' cogs.

Can that part be changed or would it be simpler to use the 8speed shifter with a 7speed cassette?
Any advice or dope slaps welcome !

[Long live experimentation by trial & error - or go boldly into error]

soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 

The freehub bodies are availlable ( from Shimano if you can not find a supplier who stocks these replacement items) the body on an MC 12 is a Y-3A 98020 whilst that of a mc18 is a Y-3A 398020.

These look very similar to me but the slight difference in the item# indicates they are slightly different. I assume this slight difference is in the length of the body.  However as you already have the cassette and the hub try them see who much of a difference there is.

scram

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #3 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup

The freehub bodies are available (from Shimano if you can not find a supplier who stocks these replacement items) the body on an MC 12 is a Y-3A 98020 whilst that of a mc18 is a Y-3A 398020.
These look very similar to me but the slight difference in the item# indicates they are slightly different. I assume this slight difference is in the length of the body.  However as you already have the cassette and the hub try them see who much of a difference there is.

Thanks, mate! I see from a search of "FH MC18" that it's a 8 speed freehub. Definitely more complicated than any bike mech job I've done, but I'm game. Any tips welcome.
http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FH/EV-FH-MC18-1749B_v1_m56577569830746213.pdf
Happy Christmas and best of health to you and yours!

RJ

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scram
Thanks, mate! I see from a search of "FH MC18" that it's a 8 speed freehub. Definitely more complicated than any bike mech job I've done, but I'm game. Any tips welcome.

http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FH/EV-FH-MC18-1749B_v1_m56577569830746213.pdf
Happy Christmas and best of health to you and yours!

This may help...

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.