General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
biker365

Reply with quote  #1 
Bikeman and the crew, love your show and vids on you tube , i was hoping you could get into showing a guy with the walmart bike how to upgrade , I know the frame won't be that of an expensive bike but I can afford to purchase parts , it may take time but if I only knew what parts are worth upgrading , that would be affordable to me , a 500.00 bike on the other hand is out of the question just can t afford that, I baby my junk bikes , grease them , clean them, true the wheels etc , they last me for years and I put thousands of miles yearly and ride daily , the bike I have now is a no name frame from a barn , riding fixie , this a commuter bike , I d love to get feedback , I d would love to see people just get out and ride , you don t need that Tour de France outfit and race bike , just get out there it s addictive as h$&l ! Thanks for passing on your experience to us that want to learn .
Thomas George

Reply with quote  #2 
I was in the same place, i took a Walmart special and over time upgraded the bike. I'd start with replacing the brakes and maybe the shifters. Here is what i did over 18 months or so piece by piece -

• Cheap Brake levers & Shimano Revo shifters - Replaced with Shimano Tourney ST-A070 3 x 7
  • Vitesse Crankset 48 x 39 x 30 - replaced with Shimano Tourney. A073 50 x 39 x 30
  • No name 7 Speed FW - Replaced with Shimano 7 Speed MegaRange MF-TZ31 14-34T 
  • Shimano xxx rear derailleur - Replaced with Shimano Tourney RD-TX800-L
  • Shimano xxx Front derailleur - Replaced with Shimano Tourney A073
  • No name Bottom Bracket (Wore out) - Replaced with Shimano BB-UN55 Square Taper 68 x 118
  • No Name caliper brakes - Replaced with Shimano R451
  • Bolt-on Axle - Replaced with Quick release (Axle replaced not wheel)
  • Tires: 700c x 32 - Replaced with Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700c x 28
  • No name tubes - Replaced with Schwalbe Puncher resistant tubes
  • Pedals: standard flats - Replaced with Shimano R540 Clip-less
biker365

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks , great info
scram

Member Plus
Reply with quote  #4 

If you have limited cash, why in the world would you buy a new poorly made bike?

Better to buy a used higher quality bike. I bought a mid-1990s steel mountain bike. I have added parts that were top of the line but consistent with the era.
Hence, Dia-compe SS7 brake levers, new cables. NOS brakes but new Kool Stop pads. It's got a look.
That said, you may not need to fix anything if you shop well. Used offers you alot more quality than some new china-made piece of shite. I dont even see a decision here, other than to start looking at craigslist or your local garage sales. TIP: Avoid anything with shocks that's old. Go simple with high quality.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.