General Discussion
Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
Nhirvana

Reply with quote  #1 
I have a 1997 trek 800 Mountain Track. (22 1/2 inch frame) I have a chain skip problem. I took it to my lbs and they tuned up the derailiers but that didn't fix the skipping. I noticed the large chainring is all f'd up, (don't know why the bike mechanic missed that) I never shift out of the largest chain ring and I still feel like I could go faster so since I need to change it anyway, I want to change the three ring crankset to a new single ring crank. So I ordered a bigger (48t) single chainring crankset. I also want to change the bb to a sealed Shimano bb. My question is is there anyway besides trial and error that I can figure out what spindle length to get so the chain is basically centered on the middle of the cassette (7speed)..
Any other tips you have for this mod would be greatly appreciated.
I realize that just changing the outer ring would've been easier but I'm trying to lighten everything up.
Squirrel-Girl

Reply with quote  #2 

The Trek 800 has a standard square taper BB i think so the axel is always going to be the same size i believe.

Personally i would've indeed just replaced the large chainring (with probably a funky coloured one)narrow wide merely because it saves money more than anything else. Most people actually change the middle chainring not the top one as the middle one is set in the middle.

Skipping gears could be a few things..
1: Have you checked your chain for wear? A stretched chain can cause skipping gears.
2: Derailier hanger mount if this is bent that can cause some gears to skip.
3: Er... freewheel cassette missing teeth on this can certainly cause this.

Hope anything i have said

Nhirvana

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks for the reply. I used the existing B.B. (I’ve since replaced it with a new one, same length) and it works great! The chain skip is gone. I replaced the cassette and rear derailleur as well. I went with a 48t Origin8 ring with an Origin8 Pro Pulsion crank. The bike is perfect for the riding I do. I have a set of 1.95 Kenda Krosses on it. To me it’s a true hybrid.

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: C59BD3D8-1B55-498D-95E9-E881AF59C71F.jpeg, Views: 7, Size: 492.62 KB 

Squirrel-Girl

Reply with quote  #4 

Cool!

Nice bike, looks like it's been well maintained, although one thing you might want to lok at is the tyres they look a little bald and bald tyres mean more flats. Not to mention less grip.

Nhirvana

Reply with quote  #5 
Those tires are new. They’re designed that way, knobby on the sides and more of a road bike tread in the center. Kenda Kross

Attached Images
Click image for larger version - Name: 0C644480-8482-4A2B-866D-2E6A76C54A90.png, Views: 2, Size: 364.02 KB 

Squirrel-Girl

Reply with quote  #6 
Ah right hehe! i couldnt quite tell from the photo
soup

Administrator
Reply with quote  #7 
That is a hybrid profile the smooth(is)0 bit rides on the road fairly smoothly, but as the bike hits the dirt the tyres sink into the mud/dust until the knobbles hit the dust/mud and add to the traction .
About the only downside of this is if you are on road but have to take a steep turn rather quickly and have to lean the bike over suddenly the tyre goes from smooth(ish) to knobbly with interesting (as in WTF!!) results.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.